New National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Act (GMO Food Labeling)
Product ID : GINA-0008
Level : Advance
Duration : 60 Minutes
President, QAS, (Quality Assurance Strategies, LLC), private consultation for the Food and Beverage Industry specializing in Global Food Safety and Quality with expertise in Regulatory Compliance, Prop 65, Business Integration and Due Diligence. Formerly, Vice President, Food Safety (Officer), Weston Foods (WF), a GWL Canadian company and North American leader in bakery products. Transformed organization toward World Class Excellence for Food Safety within four years by framing Food Safety Roadmap Strategy. This included fast-tracking to FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act), SFCA (Safe Foods for Canadian Act) and new NLEA (Nutrition Labeling Education Act) for US and Canada compliance. Over 25+ years of food safety and quality experience, after holding successive senior positions with Colgate-Palmolive, Coca-Cola, Bestfoods NA, Unilever, YUM! Brands and Quiznos (Board). Prior to joining Weston Foods, held the position of Quality Director with Mondelez International (formerly Kraft Foods) in Europe, (Zurich, Switzerland) and Cadbury as QA Chocolate Director (Quality, Environmental, and Health & Safety) for NA/Europe/Global.
The new rule is highly anticipated by industry and will hopefully bring clarity to the long-standing GMO questions, cover financial and risk impact to businesses as well as helping consumers with educated food choices based on science, in short session encapsulates everything industry needs to know on launching the (NBFDSA).
- Background on US GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) Labeling
- Basics of the National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Rule (National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standards Act)
- Ingredients Subject to Disclosure
- Labeling Disclosure
- GMO Disclosure Symbols
- Thresholds And Exemptions
- Compliance Timelines for Implementation
- Insights & Success Takeaways
Course Level - Intermediate to Advance
Who Should Attend
- Quality Control/Assurance and Food Safety professionals, supervisors, leads, managers
- Operations managers/supervisors
- Regulatory managers, supervisors or leads
- Corporate quality managers
- Senior management
- Plant management personnel
- Third parties developing HACCP/HARPC/Food Safety Plans
- Auditors and those with food safety inspection roles
- Validation specialists
- Quality system auditors
- Regulatory Staff
Why Should You Attend
The long-awaited new GMO Food Labeling regulation known as the National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standards Act (NBFDSA) has been issued by the USDA. This regulation delivers a federal standard leveling the playing field to industry and consumers often confused on GMO product labels.
Under this rule, all foods containing bioengineered ingredients (BE) must be disclosed and meet recordkeeping and compliance requirements. Definitions of foods subject to the ruling, exclusions, responsible parties, mandatory disclosure options, recordkeeping, and implementation dates will be covered in this session.