Payroll Requirements For Terminated Employees
Product ID : CLAR-0001
Level : Intermediate
Duration : 60 Minutes
Clarissia L. Harris, CPP, MBA is a payroll professional with 25 years of experience in both teaching and managing payroll. She has taught several Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) training courses throughout the United States. Her extensive work experience includes Georgia State University, Science Application International Corporation, KPMG and IBM Internet Security Company.
Currently, she is a Payroll Manager for a large Financial Company in Atlanta Georgia. Also presently, she is a payroll instructor at a local university in Atlanta.
Clarissa has also received several Merit of Citation awards from the American Payroll Association.
Managing termination pay requires knowing the federal and state laws. Human Resources and Payroll professionals must know the proper way to handle the final payment for non-exempt and exempt employees. Although the State will mandate how and when employees should receive their final payment, it’s the employer's responsibility to ensure all payments such as dismissal pay, severance pay, stock options, and golden parachute payments are accurately paid in a timely manner.
This training session covers the laws and procedures affecting when and how to pay terminated employees.
You will also learn how to handle the more complex issues such as recouping overpayments, third-party sick pay, death payments, legal settlements, and stock options.
- The various type of termination payments
- The difference between voluntary and involuntary termination pay
- State by State Review When and How to pay the final payment
- Determine and pay executive golden parachute payments, tax consequences, and reporting requirements.
- Difference between salary continuation and lump sum severance payments and the tax consequences
- The importance and requirements of providing a state labor separation notice
- Difference between deceased, death payments, and reporting requirements
- State by State review for recouping negative vacation balance and overpayments from a terminated final payment
- The correct way to pay stock options and dividend payments for US and Cross-Border employees
- Termination Checklist
- How Federal law and state laws affect termination payments
- Timeline when payment is due to the terminated employee
- Determine the calculation for an executive golden parachute payment
- How to minimize risk and exposure for voluntary and involuntary payments
- Develop an effective termination checklist
- How and when to pay stock options and dividend payments
- How to handle and tax special payments such as legal settlement and attorney fees
Who Should Attend
- Human Resource Professionals
- Payroll Professionals
- Supervisors and Managers
- Business Owner
- VP’s and Attorneys