Using VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX
Product ID : WITZ-0013
Level : Intermediate
Duration : 60 Minutes
Cathy Horwitz believes that when your employees know the capabilities of the software they use, they will demonstrate improved productivity, will be more efficient, and will be able to problem-solve more easily. Cathy teaches classes on the Microsoft suite of application software including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access, and Outlook. Cathy has over 30 years of experience in the classroom and virtual training and has been an instructor of Microsoft Office since 1989. Her strengths include customizing classes based on the needs of individual students and providing realistic business examples to complement the training. She is a high energy trainer with a flair for training the adult student.
She holds the Modern Classroom Certified Trainer certification from Logical Operations which prepares instructors for all aspects of delivering a course using the latest training technologies and approaches. When not teaching, Cathy enjoys shopping estate sales and refinishing mid-century furniture.
Lookup formulas are far superior to manually searching for specific data elements in a spreadsheet. VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX, and MATCH are some of the most well-known (and most useful) functions in Excel which are used to return data from other locations in worksheets. VLOOKUP enables you to quickly and easily look for value down a column of data and return a value from the same row in a different column. Perfect for when working with large tabular data.
INDEX and MATCH work in a similar way but provide more flexibility. If you handle large amounts of data in Excel, this webinar will help you tremendously. The training will be delivered using Excel 2016 for Windows although, for users of earlier versions, most of the functionality is available in Excel 2010 and Excel 2013. Participants should have a basic to intermediate understanding of Excel and the know basic use of functions, relative and absolute references.
- Learning the arguments in the VLOOKUP function
- Understanding the importance of absolute references within many lookup functions
- Name cell ranges to make them absolute references
- Using VLOOKUP to perform approximate matches
- Using VLOOKUP to look up data from another worksheet
- Learning how VLOOKUP stops looking after it finds an initial match within a list
- Exploring why VLOOKUP sometimes returns #N/A instead of the desired result
- Seeing how the HLOOKUP function enables you to perform horizontal matches
- Learning why the INDEX and MATCH combination often is superior to VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP
- Using the MATCH function to find the position of an item on a list
Course Level - Intermediate
Who Should Attend
- Business Owners
- CEO's / CFO's / CTO's
- Financial Consultants
- IT Professionals
- Human Resource Personnel
- Anybody with large amounts of Data
- Anybody who uses Microsoft Excel on a regular basis, and wants to be more efficient and productive
Why Should You Attend
This webinar is for any user of Excel who works with large amounts of data and has data in multiple worksheets. Learning about the lookup functions will allow you to match data between databases. In just one fast-paced and informative training session, you’ll learn how to use lookup functions to let you work with your data more efficiently, and gain powerful new tools to help you manipulate data and make better business decisions.